Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Home Is Where My Cot Is

Una has already taken the time to blog a bit about our living quarters, but I thought I might put my two cents in (you know, for good measure . . . oh, and because we can never say enough about, well, anything).

Our humble apartment's address is Via Labicana, about half a mile from the Colosseum, just around the corner from one of my favorite churches, San Giovanni in Laterano, and la Scala Sancta, and across the street from la Basilica di San Clemente. Not a bad location for a couple of grad students kickin' around Rome for a few weeks.

The living is relatively easy (thanks to the elevator), but it has become a bit of a chore to walk home from Piazza del Collegio Romano in the afternoon sun, navigating through crowds of tourists along Via dei Fori Imperiali and dodging those kids who want to scam you on some ticket that allows you to jump the line at the Colosseum (no thanks).

Once I get past all that, and I decide I'm going to be a trooper and walk up the 100+ stairs to the apartment, I'm pleased as punch to relax on my squeaky little bed before reviewing the undergraduates' weekly journals or washing the stink off in our only bathroom (that's for six people, by the way). Thank goodness for that thin mattress and those two old pillows. I sleep like a baby on it nearly every night, and I hesitate to lift my body out of it early each morning. That's how I know I'm at home in Rome.


Above left: view from my room; Right: the bed!

1 comment:

Mehl412 said...

the view might make the rest of it worth it! :) and cute sheets.