Sunday, June 1, 2008

Cremolatta di Frutta

I've been eating more than a fair amount of gelato lately. While I have been thoroughly enjoying trying a different flavor every time (my favorite is the cannella--cinnamon--at Giolitti), it's nice to break up the dessert pattern every once in a while. After our long walk on Via Appia Antica on Saturday, Hillary and I tried a gelato substitute at the Cafe du Parc, near the bus stop at Ostiense. Cremolatta di frutta is basically an enhanced fruit experience (and when I say "enhanced," I mean there's a ton of sugar in it). It's thicker than Italian ices that we usually get in the U.S., full of fruit chunks, and has a goopy consistency--I think goopy captures it. I had fragola--strawberry--and it tasted quite a bit like strawberry shortcake. Man, I'm going to miss Italy.

No comments: