Saturday, May 17, 2008

Must one "walk" Rome?

As I've walked on Rome's cobblestone streets, through its tiny passageways, up and down its innumerable steps, and dodged its speedy scooters and Smart cars, it seems to me that this may not be the most wheelchair accessible city. This may be the wrong assessment, however. In the Musei Capitolini today, I found several elevators and even chair lifts on some of the staircases. However, the elevators are not as wide as Americans (U.S.) might be accustomed to. Not having visited all there is to visit in Rome, I cannot comment on the extent to which touristy and less touristy sites are accessible to everyone. Instead, by the magic of the Internet, I searched for what others have to say on this topic. Below are some links to sites where folks have recounted their experiences, expressed opinions on the matter, and provided tips for making Rome "accessible" in different ways.

No comments: